Saturday, March 24, 2018

Introducing Ms. Lynn Dukes

Were you born and raised in SC? If not, where and how did you end up here?

Born and raised in Ohio. Moved here in 1976 and married a Charleston boy. We were married for 32 years, 6 months and 2 days before he went home to the Lord. We had 3 beautiful children. Our oldest, Jennie was with us for only 14 years, but we were blessed and thankful to have her that long. We were fortunate to adopt our daughter, Jessica and our son, Chris, when they were just days old. Now I have a handsome, amazing and wonderful grandson, Mel who is my heart!!

My mother, Edna, came to live with me in 2012 when her heart was suffering. My father had Alzheimer's. When it became to much for her, I brought both of them to Summerville, my dad to a local nursing home and my mom with me. My dad passed away 2 years ago.

How long have you been a member of the FKG?

Founding member

When did you learn to knit/crochet? Are you self taught? Who taught you?

Not exactly sure when I started, but I learned to crochet first when I was about 6, I think. Then hair pin lace, then knitting. My mom, my grandmother and a neighbor were my first teachers. I was fortunate to have a Recreational Center that had classes in lots of things and I took classes there. I would knit off and on over the years, but it's mostly been this last 20 years or so that I have really gotten into it. From that point on I have been mostly self taught. I love taking classes and look forward to taking more!

What was your first knit/crochet project? Do you still have it?

I don't have my very first ones. I do have my first sweater which was my home-ec project in 8th grade - a baby sweater bonnet and booties! all there of my children wore it!

What is one benefit of knit/crochet that you really enjoy?

I can't just sit still or just watch TV, I want/need to be doing something. Knitting and spinning are my happy place. They both bring me joy, peach and a calmness I need in this crazy, stressful world.

What advice would you give a beginning knitter/crocheter?

1st jump in - don't let anyone tell you that a pattern is too hard or you shouldn't try it. When I wanted to learn to quilt I picked out a beautiful pattern (a spinning star to be exact). The sales ladies tried to talk me out of it because it was very involved, very complicated design. I was determined because if I had only on quilt I would ever make - I wanted it to be one I loved. Did I finish it? Well, let's just say, I have the quilt top completed. Quilting will never happen! But that's ok - I have made many others since and I am happy with that!

So - if you see a pattern you love - go for it! Be fearless!! 2nd - buy the best you can afford! It doesn't have to be the most expensive - just get gold quality supplies. Knitting is a skill that takes time to learn and you don't want to fight with rough needles or poor quality yarn.

What are you most proud of when it comes to your craft?

I've never really considered that, but I have learned a lot, made a lot of items and love that I can share it with others. I enjoy making gifts for my family (mostly my grandson).

What is a little known fun fact about you?

Fun Fact.....I'm compulsive.


~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for checking in this week and getting to know Lynn Dukes. I hope you enjoyed her crafter's journey.

Don't forget the FKG meeting this Tuesday. Joyce Stebbins will be teaching us how to knit cables without using cable needles. Please check either Facebook or Ravelry for the homework that you need to complete before the meeting.


No comments:

Post a Comment