Saturday, March 31, 2018

Introducing Mrs. Anita Sloane

Were you born and raised in SC? If not, where and how did you end up here?

I was born in Modesto, CA. My dad served 32 years the Navy and Charleston was his last tour of duty.  He retired here and I married a James Island boy and we just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary in October.

How long have you been a member of the FKG? 

Not sure, but the meetings were held in the Village Knittery's original location. I think Kaye Heins was one of the first people I knew in the group.

When did you learn to knit/crochet? Are you self taught? Who taught you?

I lived in England for 3 years and learned it in school - 7th grade. No one in my family knitted and I didn't knit again until 2007, when I bought a kit from Tuesday Morning. Picked it up and going strong ever since.

What was your first knit/crochet project? Do you still have it?

Don't remember and surely not.

What is the benefit of knitting/crocheting that you really enjoy?

One reason was I figured I couldn't knit and eat at the same time. I did learn to do both eventually.

What advice would you give a beginning knitter/crocheter? 

Find groups to go to. One thing about most knitters and crocheters is that we are willing to share our knowledge and spread the joy. (Help you get addicted)

What are you most proud of when it comes to your craft?

I like to try new things and I sell items at craft shows. I would like to learn how to do some of the selling online.

What is a little known fun fact about you? 

I want to get a class B RV and travel. Kind of tired of waiting for my husband to retire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoyed meeting Anita. I thought it was interesting that in England knitting was taught in school.

This week was our guild meeting and Joyce taught us how to knit cables without using cable needles. The class was a success with the ladies learning a lot.  Cathy had 13 bears to be donated to the Summerville Police Dept so they could have in their cars in case they have to deal with children. She also received a few hats as well. We have several charities that we donate to and welcome anything you would like donate.

I shared my trip to the Carolina Fiber Fest in Raleigh, NC. It was a on a smaller scale than SAFF (Southeastern Animal Fiber Fest) but they had quite a few vendors and their classes were much more affordable then SAFF as well. After we left CFF, my friend and I went to 3 LYS - Warm & Fuzzy, Great Yarn and Admit Ewe Knit. Warm and Fuzzy had a whole wall of Hedgehog Fibers but the workers were not warm and fuzzy at all. Great Yarn was much better with a much better reception and Admit Ewe Knit was welcoming as well. All in all, it was a great day of yarn goodness!

Our next outing to Luna Lola in Columbia, SC is Saturday, April 21st. We will be leaving promptly from St. Luke's Lutheran church at 206 Central Ave, Summerville, SC at 10am. We will go to Luna Lola first and if time permits try and visit Copious Fibers in Irmo. Then we will stop for a bite to eat before heading back to Summerville. Please feel free to join us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment