Thursday, March 1, 2018

Introducing Mrs. Kaye Heins

Were you born and raised in SC? If not, how did you end up here?

I was born in Macon, GA. I moved with my mom, sister, stepfather and stepsisters to Charleston the week after I graduated from high school in 1965. I have moved in and out of the Charleston area about 4 to 5 times.

How long have you been a member of the FKG?

Tamara Goff and I discussed starting a guild about a year before she started the guild. I could not be a "charter member". I was an associate member for a couple of years while my husband and I traveled.

When did you learn to knit/crochet? Are you self taught? If not, who taught you?

I have always played with string. Probably I learned to crochet in order to earn a badge in Brownies or Girl Scouts. I was taught to crochet by my mother. I have made countless baby blankets and afghans. She could not knit but she taught me to sew and quilt in addition to embroidery and simple weaving. I learned to knit in the 70's. My husband's aunt taught me to cast on, knit and purl.

What was your first knit/crochet project? Do you still have it?

I made a feather and fan afghan as my first project. and it's long gone.

What is one benefit of knit/crochet that you really enjoy?

I enjoy learning how a particular stitch pattern is made. I am definitely a process knitter, not a product knitter. The running joke is that I never finish anything and that I need to focus. That's a tough task.

What advice would you give a beginning knitter/crocheter?

My advice is BEGIN. Knitting is loops on a stick, not anything life threatening. Make YouTube your best friend. But really, just begin. When I learned, I probably cast on and ripped out a miles worth of yarn.

What are you most proud of when it comes to your craft?

Honestly, the thing I am most proud of is the sisterhood of knitters.

What is a little know fun fact about you?

My dream is to sing like Janis Joplin or Bette Midler.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for taking the time out to meet the next member of the FKG. Hope you enjoyed Kaye's recap.

If you missed our February 27th meeting, you missed a chance to knit Lynn Dukes' first knitted pattern for Dr. Suess hat bookmarks. The bookmarks were donated to the Flowertown Elementary School. In March Joyce will be teaching us how to knit cables without using a cable needle. Hope to see you there!






No comments:

Post a Comment