Saturday, April 14, 2018

Introducing Mrs. Tammy Davis

Were you born and raised in SC? If not, where and how did you end up here?

I was born and raised in Huntington, WV. I decided in elementary school that I wanted to live in SC when I grew up, I'm sure to be near the beach, so I moved here after graduating from college.

How long have you been a member of the FKG?

Just joined the FKG last month.

When did you learn to knit/crochet? Are you self taught? Who taught you?

My grannie gave me my first knitting lesson more than twenty years ago but I was a college student (2nd time around so taking it more seriously) I didn't live near my grannie and there was no internet then so I really didn't do much after that lesson.  I then took a beginner knit class at The Village Knittery about 8 years ago and have been loving it ever since then.

What was your first knit/crochet project? Do you still have it?

My first project was a scarf. I was such a beginner that I didn't know that a scarf in stockinette would just roll! I still have it because it's the first thing I did but have been considering frogging it.

What is one benefit of knit/crochet that you really enjoy?

For me it is therapeutic and I just love creating something new, so much fun to watch the projects as they're being created!

What advice would you give a beginning knitter/crocheter?

Don't give up! Put it down for a bit if you're getting frustrated but then get back to it. Find a friend to knit with, you can do it!

What are you most proud of when it comes to your craft?

Not sure, I guess that I did stick with knitting the second time around and feel like I have really increased my skills (not that there isn't still plenty to learn)! My grannie really loved knitting so I sometimes think that she knows that I figured it out and is helping me out when I need it.

What is a little known fun fact about you?

I bungee jumped from 180 feet and loved it! Not sure that I would do it again. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's been great getting to know the members of the FKG. The last few members are a bit technology challenged so I am going to have to go old school with them and bring out pencil and paper. lol

To piggyback off something Michelle and Anita mentioned - find a group to knit/crochet with! The friendships that form are worth it alone but the knitting knowledge you can find in a group is priceless as well. Anita said it to, crafters tend to be a very generous group and are always willing to share their knowledge - whether you are a beginner or seasoned, there is always something new to learn.

CALLING ALL CHARITY CRAFTERS!!

FKG has challenged us to knit 10 child size hats by the September 25th meeting! Catherine has several local schools who contact her asking for hats for their students. The hats can be any color or pattern you choose. We ask that you use acrylic yarn to avoid any allergies to animal fibers, plus the easy care instructions allow for laundering as often as needed. The ages range from 3 yr old Headstart to High School.

No comments:

Post a Comment