Thursday, February 15, 2018

Introducing the 2018 FKG members

Hello fellow fiber enthusiasts!!

My name is Natalie Jett and I am manning the blog this year. I figured I would introduce myself to you.

You can find me on social media as the Knottee Hooker. When I came up with that name I was a direct sales consultant for Pure Romance, which means I provided in home parties for adult women. And the play on words just seemed to fit. Well, let me tell you the Pure Romance corporate office wasn't as impressed so I couldn't name my Pure Romance team that so I just transferred it over to my crochet business.

I have been a hooker for more years that I want to count. When I taught myself to crochet I couldn't figure out how to make the square be straight on the ends so I ended up with a bunch of halter tops and I was young enough to get away with wearing them. When I was in college I decided to really learn how to crochet so off to the library for a book (this was in the pre YouTube era) and I taught myself the nuances and viola! I had straight edges. But back then crochet was mostly granny squares or afghans. Crochet was rarely the beautiful garments that you see from knitters. A few years ago I decided that I wanted to make more than just afghans so I challenged myself to make crocheted garments and wear them proudly.

A very unexpected drawback of being a crocheter is how you are treated in some local yarn shops. For some reason, crocheters are looked at and treated like red headed stepchildren. As if, for some reason, that craft is less than knitting. That just motivated me to crochet more beautiful items so that when people asked I could proudly say it was crocheted not knitted. I will admittedly raise my hand to being a yarn snob. I will use certain brands of acrylic yarn but mostly for clients from my Etsy store. If I am crafting for me, it's got to be the good stuff.

Which leads me to another passion of mine - hand dyeing yarn!! OMG is that fun! I started out using Kool-Aid, food coloring or Wilton's cake icing and then quickly gravitated to acid dyes from Dharma Trading. It is so much fun and truly addicting to see the yarn come to life. I did a few hand dyeing workshops at the Village Knittery and in May I will be teaching a workshop for the FKG monthly meeting.

I always wanted to learn to knit but I just couldn't grasp the concept of holding 2 needles and the yarn. I tried several times over the years and just ended up frustrated. Until last year when a friend who had been a lifelong crocheter as well told me to try Portuguese knitting. That clicked and I was so thrilled. So I am now bi (bi-stitchual). I actually finished my first knitted shawl! It was The Grocery Girls shawl by Joji Locatelli and it was for an Etsy client. And I have cast on my first pair of socks. Now the challenge is to not succumb to "one sock syndrome". lol

I am the mother of 2 sons and 1 daughter. I have 5 grands with one more due in May/June. I bleed Carolina Blue and am an avid sports fan. If you look at most of the things that I crochet for myself they have some kind of sports theme. When I see a pattern I automatically think of knitting/crocheting it in sports team colors. I am also a Braves fan and a Carolina Panthers fan. If I am listening to tv while knitting/crocheting it's on either Criminal Minds, NCIS or Blue Bloods. I probably know each season by heart by now.

Oh well, I guess that is it about me. Nice to meet you! Next month I will feature another guild member.

Go Heels!!


No comments:

Post a Comment